Every country has its slang words or local terms used. Here in the Philippines we also have it, but we will not learn that today instead we’ll learn some American slang words. We, list down 10 American slang words that you should know or probably you know and used the words already, but you’re not aware that it is an American slang word.
- Cram – you will usually hear this word from students who have an exam/s to take. Cram means to study intensively mostly done if you only have a few mins. left to study before the exam. And or in other words, it is a last-minute study.
“It was a cramming exam.”
- Creep- Strange person.
“He is a creep. Isn’t he?”
- Hyped- to the extent of excitement
“I’m hyped for the party tonight. Yeah!”
- Hangout- going outside or spending time with friends.
“This Friday night, I will hang out with my friends at XYZ square.”
- Piece of cake – easily done
“The game was just a piece of cake”.
- Pig out – an American slang word which means uncontrollable eating.
“Yesterday I was very hungry; I pigged out a box of pizza.”
- Sweet – this is how American will give compliment if they will see something that for them is nice and good.
“I received a sweet bouquet of flowers today.”
- Screw up – American slang for mess up.
“He screws up everything we planned.”
- Tight – a slang word for closeness.
“It was a tight basketball game for Spurs and Miami heat.”
- Wrap – to complete everything.
“Ana wraps all her things to their company outing later.”
That’s it for today. I hope you learn something about this post. Moreover, you can also check for some American slang words here. The best way to study American slang is to study with American speakers.
Do you know some American slang words? Share it by writing a comment below. 🙂
For more information and inquiries:
Russian website: www.studyenglishgenius.com/ru/
Skype ID: geniusenglishacademy